Mason Jars Mania
Mason Jars have become quite popular across the blogosphere. They are not just pretty to look at, they are practical too. You can prepare up to a three to five days worth of meals for yourself. They are great for salads, fruits, cereals and even soups & pastas.
I prepared a beautiful and bright salad the other day for lunch. I know one could use a regular lunch container or a bowl instead of these cute Mason jars, but by using these Jars , it allows you to keep ingredients separate until you are ready to eat for e.g. your salad doesn’t get soggy.
Layering your salad in a certain way allows it to remains crisp and fresh.
Steps to prepare your very own Mason Jar salad
1. Your dressing goes right at the bottom. So add that first
2. Then add your hearty/ heavier/tougher bits like cucumber, beans, carrots, bell pepper, radishes,chickpeas, green beans
3. Then add your lighter bits like quinoa, mung beans, seeds, walnuts, mandarins, tomatoes, red onion, corn, peas, broccoli, strawberries
4. And right on the top, you add your salad spinach, lettuce, cabbage Basically your firmer vegetables are added to the bottom of the jar and lighter / fluffier / fragile ingredients are at the top.
When you are ready to eat you can either transfer the ingredients them into bowl or just toss the ingredients in the jar gently and eat out of it. Make sure the jar in not completely filled up, otherwise it get a little challenging to mix the ingredients when you ready to eat.
Benefits of using mason jars
1. Dishwasher / Oven safe
2. Easy to transport – Not messy
3. Super Cute and Attractive
4. Environment friendly
5. Perfect for practicing portion control
XO S & J