Low GI Lentil Patties
Posted on January 23, 2013 by Jtoumbas
In my procrastination today waiting around home to register into my year 3, semester 1 uni classes I decided to play around with another one of the great Celebrate Health Products. Today I started Mediterranean lentils and ended with Low GI lentil patties. Even to my surprise they were delicious. The flavours in the celebrate health mixes are astounding.
“Lentils, a small but nutritionally mighty member of the legume family, are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fibre Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they are of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fibre content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. But this is far from all lentils have to offer. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of six important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein—all with virtually no fat. The calorie cost of all this nutrition? Just 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils. This tiny nutritional giant fills you up—not out”
What you need…
- 1 packet celebrate health Mediterranean lentils
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup olive oil for cooking
What to do…
- Cook celebrate health lentils as per packet instructions, set aside.
- Place sweet potato in microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 5 minutes or until mash-able
- Mash roughly with fork and set aside
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a saucepan and sauté onions over medium heat. Stirring in garlic, cumin and coriander. Cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Combine mashed sweet potato, lentils and onion mixture in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into 8 patties and lightly coat each side with breadcrumbs.
- Heat remainder of oil in a fry-pan and cook patties in batches. About 2 minutes each side until golden.
Serve with my Home-made roast tomato sauce and side salad
Eat Healthy, Live Happy & Get Fit
xo j xo