Its Easter time and we all know what that means! Lots and lots of chocolate! But this year it’s time to change – traditionally the Orthodox tradition is to hard boil eggs and colour them, with these we play a game – where we see who’s egg is the strongest by trying to crack each others. So for me chocolate isn’t a big part of Easter. I decided to share with you one way in which to make hard boiled eggs look good and then even taste better with a healthy deviled egg recipe.
• Hard cook the egg – do not hard boil. What you want to do is layer the eggs (single layer) in your pot. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Once you reach a simmer turn off the heat and cover the pot. Allow this to sit for 17 minutes.
• Allow the egg to cool and then roll them around on the counter to crack the shell.
• Choose the colours you wish to dye the eggs. Place each colour in separate bowls, add hot water to each bowl. Mix the colour and place the eggs in the bowl of food colouring.
• Place eggs and colouring in the fridge for about 2-3 hrs.
• Peel the eggs – there you have it! Cracked coloured eggs!
• If you wish to devil the eggs place ¼ cup nonfat plain greek yoghurt, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, pinch salt in a food processor and wiz up until smooth.
• Carefully cut the eggs in half and add your filling.
Ill leave you with a little Easter cheer I saw on a card this morning which made me giggle..
How do little Chicks stay Healthy?
LOTS of eggs-ercise!
Have a Happy Easter