- 1/3 cup bulghur wheat
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 410 cans crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- ½ 440g can red kidney beans, drained
- ½ 440g can chickpeas, drained
- ½ 315g can corn kernels, drained
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
Variation- Beef Chilli
As above – substitute 220g chickpeas with 250g Lean mince meat.
*Variation: cook the meat separately in a fry-pan on medium heat for 2 minutes to lightly cook the meat before adding it to simmer.
- Put the bulghur wheat in a heatproof bowl and pour in ½ cup of hot water. Leave to stand until needed.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, or until soft and lightly golden.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chilli and cinnamon, and stir-fry for 1 min.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30mins.