Earlier this year I joined a team of healthy food fanatics in The Recipe Redux, founded by registered dietitians, it is focused on taking delicious dishes, keeping them delicious, but making them better for you. What a great idea! Exactly what I LOVE to do! Every month there is a theme to inspire us to create a delicious healthy meal! February’s theme, seeing as the Oscars are close by, is OSCARS IN THE KITCHEN. I get to create a healthy recipe inspired by my favourite food scene or featured dish from any movie.
Deep down I’m a BIG kid and love my Disney movies… so I chose my favourite movie scene from LADY & THE TRAMP
Who can forget this scene, such a cute movie!
I have been wanting to try zucchini pasta in a long time and finally bought the right tools to make it. So for my first Recipe Redux I hope you enjoy…
CHILLI ZUCCHINI PASTA WITH PAN SEARED SCOLLOPS
What you will need… (serves 1)
- 4 fresh scallops (roe-off)
- 1 long red chilli – finely chopped
- 1 lemon (rind and 1/2 juice)
- 2 small chunks of ginger
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup fish stock (you can also use 1tbsp fish sauce & 1/2 cup water)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander roots (use leaves for garnish)
What to do…
- Cut your zucchini’s into spagetti like shapes. I used the Betty Bossi Vegetable Twister which I bought from Robbins Kitchen – Set aside.
- Boil about 4 cups of water in a small saucepan to blanch zucchini later on.
- Heat half olive oil in a pan- add chilli and coriander roots
- Sauté for about 5 minutes
- Combine half the juice from a lemon, fish stock and ginger. (ginger is in chucks because you will remove it before serving – its used to infuse the flavour)
- Simmer and reduce sauce for about 10 minutes on low.
- While the sauce is simmering heat a small fry pan on low.
- Sprinkle remainder oil over the scallops – gently pan fry the scallops (about 1 minutes on each side).
- Blanch zucchini in boiling water and strain.
- Remove ginger from sauce and toss through zucchini spaghetti.
- Plate zucchini and sauce topped with your seared scallops.
I absolutely loved creating this dish. Its so simple and clean. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and can’t wait for my next Recipe Redux challenge.
Eat healthy, Live Happy & Get fit
xo j xo