Most of us find it hard to keep up-to-date with the new “in” foods and just want to live a healthy and happy lifestyle.
We know whole grains are best for us, lean meats are packed with nutrients and protein, fresh fruit and vegies, herbs and spices are a great way to cut down on the unneccesary preservatives and fats.
But… there are a few foods which can really boost your immunity as recommended by Lee Holmes.
The best thing you can do to protect yourself from colds and flus this winter is to strengthen your immune system naturally with immune-boosting foods.
1. Onions: great for raising ‘good’ cholesterol levels, lowering high blood pressure and helping avoid blood clots.
2. Garlic: slows the growth of harmful bacteria, yeasts and fungi, lowers harmful LDL cholesterol and high blood pressure.
3. Broccoli: helps fight infections and viruses and is a powerful immunity booster.
4. Quinoa: A complete protein food that contains all the essential amino acids your body needs to build muscle and repair itself.
5. Kale: Bursting with essential vitamins and minerals, kale is fantastic for your skin and can slow premature ageing.
6. Wild salmon: contains lots of vitamin D and selenium for healthy hair, skin, nails and bones.
7. Nuts: rich in fibre, B vitamins, magnesium and antioxidants. Eating a handful of nuts five times a week reduces your risk of coronary heart disease.
8. Spinach: contains lots of phytonutrients and antioxidants including vitamins K, C and E, coenzyme Q10, folate, iron and carotenoids.
9. Sardines: high in omega-3 fatty acids and loaded with minerals including calcium, iron, zinc and manganese.
10. Eggs: a compact package of nutrition that provides every vitamin except vitamin C.
A good, well-balanced healthy diet will help your immune system strengthen. As mentioned earlier make the majority of your diet unprocessed, natural foods; fresh fruit, vegies, legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds. This will supply you with all the essential nutrients you need to have a healthy immune system this winter.